As part of our Women’s History Month celebration, we have curated a list of recommended readings. This list was carefully created with research, thoughtfulness, and intentionality, and we hope you pick up and enjoy some of these readings that we have picked for you.
With this list, we hope to celebrate the accomplishments of women, acknowledge the obstacles women have overcome, and include a variety of representations and experiences of womanhood. Below you will find fiction and non-fiction titles.
Some of these titles include memoirs of women’s experiences, thought-provoking insights about the Women’s Movement, reimaginations of classic women’s stories, and stories from women that are usually excluded from women’s history. Join us in learning more about Women’s history by reading one of these books and keep an eye on our Twitter @SanDiegoOASIS for more detailed descriptions of each title!
1. Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés: Estés (Available in San Diego Oasis Library)
2. Uncomfortable Labels by Laura Kate Dale
3. Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall
4. White Tears/Brown Scars: How White Feminism Betrays Women of Color by Ruby Harmad
5. Untamed by Gelnnon Doyle
6. The Beauty of Your Face by Sahar Mustafah
7. Circe by Madeline Miller
8. A Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
9. We are Not Like Them by Christine Pride and Jo Piazza
10. The Bonesetter’s Daughter: A Novel by Amy Tan